J. B. AUSTIN, farmer, Sec. 11; Gooding’s Grove, P. O.; was born in Ontario Co., N.Y., July 4, 1824; he lived with his parents up to the age of 14, when he came with his uncle, Ira AUSTIN, to this county in 1838, who settled near Gooding’s Grove P. O., and lived with him until 1851. He purchased the farm he now resides on in 1851. Has been Collector, Assessor, Constable and School Director. Mr. Austin was the Captain of the first canal-boat that went through the Illinois and Michigan Canal. His first wife was Laura SANDERS of N. Y. State; she died July 3, 1865; they have four children, William B., born in 1851; Marion E., April 26, 1853; Albert H., Feb. 6, 1854; Lyman A., Nov. 26, 1856. He married his second wife, Miss Betsey McGregor, in Homer Township, Oct. 22, 1867; she was born Nov. 17, 1845; have seven children – Jennie, born Dec. 16, 1868; Buel P., born July 22, 1870; Ira W., born Nov. 6, 1871, and died March 3, l873; Charles H., born Nov. 16, 1874; James H., born Aug. 9, 1876, and John, born Aug. 4, 1878. Mr. Austin served in the Commissary Department during our late war, from Aug. 2, 1862, to Feb. 1, 1865.

Source: History of Will County, Illinois; Chicago: Wm LeBaron Jr & Co, 186 Dearborn Street, 1878.